Sunday, January 15, 2006

The First 36 Hours

So I will first state that I am not a small town girl. I grew up in Phoenix, it’s the 6th largest city in the US. I live in Los Angeles, I have been to New York and London and other major metropolitan areas and have always done just fine. But Las Vegas – wow.
Talk about an overwhelming city. Nobody warns you. Nobody talks about the mass of people, the scale of the buildings. The fact that they recreate the outdoors inside! It’s not that they recreate the outdoors inside, it’s that is such a good job! It freaks me out. It’s been 36 hours and still it freaks me out. I swear they can make the clouds move. It’s always late afternoon. And they have malls inside of these hotels. Not just a few stores but actual malls that I would drive 30 minutes to. And they create the mall to make you think you go from the inside to the outside. And this is even before I leave my hotel. Which by the way just a regular room has the hugest bath tub. Thankfully there is a mall with a Bath & Body Works, Aveda, L’Occitane, H2O+ and Sephora right here, so really I have my pick of bubble bath for the rest of the week.
I saw the Bellagio fountain show, sort of a romantic thing. I can see Las Vegas as sort of romantic overall. Everything is grander than it should be, the scale of it all is just overwhelming, its kind of what you think love will be like.
Oh right and there are real hookers here. I even saw one. I’m going to see if I can spot any more later in the week. And my hotel has a Commander’s Palace, mmm delicious. My first meal here was the Eggs Versailles with a mimosa (and during the week they have 25¢ martinis), had I not been so freaked out by the hugeness of LV and been so nervous with my lunch people I would have fallen in love with the city right there.
So I think I could easily become a Vegas girl. We’ll see how the rest of the week works itself out. I do know that I need to see the white tigers and maybe even a show, hopefully other than the one I’m working on.

Side note, slowly becoming a football fan. Very cool fourth quarter with the Steelers and the Colts. I’m just glad the Patriots are out. I’m so over Foxboro (even though I love Vinny T’s).

2 comments:

robin marie said...

i am shocked that you are just now learning the was of the vegas strip... i guess going to byu paid off... i learned all about vegas at a young age. i don't even know how many times i've crashed there. and honestly, is this really the first, live hooker you've ever seen? you need to come visit again and i'll point you towards k street... i can even tell you where the transvestite hookers hang out (we did a special on it).

as for shows... if you haven't seen circ de soleil... you MUST. i'm dying to see O.

Anonymous said...

I keep meaning to make it to Vegas.

It is on my list.

Right now I'm debating between Vegas and Chicago with Christian. He's been after me to spend time with him since I bailed on Bermuda last year.

So I'm thinking Vegas...

You must tell me what I need to see.