Friday, June 23, 2006

Still not cool enough for myspace

There is so much to talk about. I’ve been traveling for the last three weeks and I still have another week and a half before I’m home. I’ve had a great time in Phoenix and DC and have done a ton of stuff but really what I want to discuss is myspace. The black hole of time that is myspace. I still don’t understand it. I don’t know what you do, I can’t think of any good comments to say to people. But I almost have twenty friends and that’s exciting. I figured out how to put the sky on my background and have a pink border. I think my friend’s little sister must think I’m super uncool. First I call her in a panic from across the country saying she must add me as her friend so I can email her and have her explain how to change the background on my page. (now really the coolest move but in my own defense I did figure it out – mostly because I was to impatient for to get back online and do it for me) Anyway she called my page “cute.” For a girl in high school who’s cool enough to likes black and white pictures and has some really thoughtful comments on her myspace page, I don’t think cute and cool are synonymous. But really should I be concerned what she thinks? Well after looking at her page--maybe a little. She has some great photos and she seems incredibly interesting. Funny because I don’t remember her having to much to say to whenever I came by her house. She has the best picture that says “I belong here” (its just a great picture of the mountains and sky meeting – I’m pretty sure in AZ) now I don’t know how she meant it because that’s all its says but I’ve been obsessing about it. Its such a deep statement. And the fact that she even knows. She’s 16. And she has this moment of knowing who she is and where she fits into this world. I just think its kind of amazing, well for anyone, but especially for someone who is sixteen. I kind of wonder what she would have done with my myspace page.
So this whole project makes me want to go out and buy a HTML book because that is some cool stuff and I just really don’t know much about it. The fact that you can just write internet pages with letters and numbers and they all mean something even though its all kind of fake just amazes me. I really wish my rocket scientist husband would come home and explain it to me, because I swear the internet doesn’t really exist except in my computer which I just can’t really wrap my head around that whole concept. Its kind of like a spy and decoder thing—mystifying.

3 comments:

robin marie said...

don't worry... although asia purports to be "too cool for school" she still is in school... therefore her cooless radar is slightly skewed to the teenie bopper's liking...

Maggie May said...

I'm totally going to tell her you said she's only "teenie bopper" cool. see if she helps you with your myspace page, she's going to cover with pink lace -- just to show you.

Anonymous said...

yes indeed.

I wouldn't worry too much about her "cute" comment.

It took me awhile to pick my background...a picture I took of the ocean at sunset from the Getty.

I am the world's biggest idiot when it comes to these things, but eventually you figure things out.